UEA wants fuzzy philosophers

The University of East Anglia is advertising for an ‘indefinite’ lecturer in philosophy. I don’t know whether this means lecturers with fuzzy boundaries or vague parts, or whetherit just means lecturers who haven’t made their minds up on what they believe yet.

Seriously, what does this mean? Is it obvious to everyone else? Is it for a position such that they don’t know how long it’s going to last? Is it permanent, and they’re saying ‘indefinite’ because you’re not allowed to say ‘permanent’? (But then, why not use the standard ‘continuing’?) What does it mean?? Oh well, never trust a Wittgensteinian, that’s what I say.

Sorry MV has been so quiet of late; normal service will resume shortly.


4 responses to “UEA wants fuzzy philosophers

  1. Maybe they want a philosoper with a specialization in Indefinite Studies, like the Chair of Indefinite Studies at Unseen University?

  2. Cool – I’d forgotten about him!Perhaps next they’ll want a philosopher of quantum.

  3. I think indefinite is the right term to use here, not permanent. Surely no one is a permanent lecturer. What would _that_ even mean?

  4. That they are a lecturer, and are so permanently?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s